Definition: Families, educators, and relevant service providers collaborate to plan and provide instruction and services that will reasonably enable students to reach their post-school goals.
- Self-determination facilitated within the planning process
- Student understanding of IEP process
- Career counseling services provided to student
- Planning for transition to adult healthcare
Transition planning checklists
Gateways Community Services in Nashua, NH has a transition planning checklist (PDF, 2 pages, 2012) geared for students who will remain in high school until age 21.Winnacunnet High School in Hampton, NH uses a transition checklist (Google Docs, 2 pages) that you could copy and adapt for your situation.
- I’m Determined, a Virginia State Department of Education project, helps youth, especially those with disabilities, to undertake a measure of control in their lives.
- RENEW, a youth-directed planning and support process for school-to-career transition planning
- Extended Learning Opportunities (ELOs) allow New Hampshire students to earn credit through learning experiences outside the traditional classroom
- Person-Centered Planning focuses on the unique values, strengths, preferences, capacities, needs, and desired outcomes or goals of the student
Career counseling services provided to students
- Interest inventories help students see what people with similar interests choose for a profession
- Advising high school students with disabilities on postsecondary options: Guidance and Career Counselors’ Toolkit
- Coming: How to migrate the Person-Centered Planning process into the IEP. (e.g., Dream Sheet into measurable postsecondary goals)
NH resources for the transition to adult healthcare
- Special Medical Services at NH Department of Health and Human Services: www.dhhs.nh.gov/dcbcs/bds/sms/index.htm
- New Hampshire Family Voices provides free, confidential services to families and professionals caring for children with chronic conditions and/or disabilities.: nhfv.org/
- YEAH (Youth for Education Advocacy and Healthcare) Advisory Council of NH: yeah-councilnh.com/
- Ready Set Go! Healthcare Checklist developed by New Hampshire Family Voices. New 2014 edition.
National resources for healthcare transition
- Got Transition aims to improve transition from pediatric to adult health care through the use of new and innovative strategies for health professionals and youth and families.
- Transition to Adult Health Care: A Training Guide in Two Parts (PDF, 94 pages, 2005) is for anyone interested in helping young people with special health care needs and their parents prepare for the transition to adult health care. From the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Adolescent Health Transition Project was funded by the Washington State Department of Health through 2012. While some links no longer work it is still chock full of good information and tools.