For students with IEPs
Definition: The IEP includes identification and provision of support services that foster students’ skill development and achievement of post-school goals (e.g., environmental adaptations, accommodations, related services such as assistive technology and occupational therapy).
- Environmental adaptations and accommodations
- Natural supports
- Provision of support services (e.g., OT, PT, AT, speech therapy, transportation)
- The federally supported Job Accommodation Network (JAN) is a source of free, expert, and confidential guidance on workplace accommodations and disability employment issues. Includes resources for employers, teachers, individuals with disabilities, and agency personnel. Information is sorted by type of disability or by topic.
- Charting the Course: Supporting the Career Development of Youth with Learning Disabilities. The goal of this guide from the National Collaborative on Workforce and Disability (NCWD) is to improve services and outcomes for youth with both diagnosed and undiagnosed learning disabilities. Includes quick reference charts, tables, and tools. Information includes the types and impact of learning disabilities, needed supports, and research-based interventions. The workforce development system serves many youth who have learning disabilities that may never have been identified, and many others who may know they have a learning disability but choose not to disclose. PDF, 122 pages
- Getting Accommodations at College: Tools for School when you have a mental health disability. Attractive, user-friendly tipsheet from Transitions RTC in Massachusetts (PDF, 2 pages, 2011).
- Definitions and resources for natural supports, from the University of South Florida’s Project 10 Transition Education Network.
- Natural supports resources for school and workplace: www.waisman.wisc.edu/naturalsupports/resources.php, from the Waisman Center, U. of Wis. Madison. The Natural Supports Resource Guide (PDF, 2 p., 2011) offers examples of resources and practical strategies for developing natural supports, including links to videos and planning templates.
- Blog entry on building natural peer supports in the classroom, from the Inclusive Schools Network: blog.inclusiveschools.org/leadership-connection/building-natural-peer-supports/