Connecting to Resources
Definition: School staff connect families with community resources that support them and their child in the transition process.
- The Journey to Life After High School: A Road Map for Parents of Children with Special Needs (PDF, 81 pages, 2015), from abilitypath.org, is a comprehensive guide to the laws that impact a student with disabilities, the importance of the IEP, and the different paths a student can take after high school. Includes preparation required for the new adult’s legal and medical rights.
- The Housing Project at the Pacer Center in Minnesota has information and resources to help parents of children and young adults with disabilities understand their options for independent living and housing. Many housing options and supports for home living involve eligibility criteria, timelines, waiting lists, and limited availability to obtain services. One way to help your son or daughter find housing is to begin planning early.
- Parent-friendly information on a variety of topics on Transition to Adult Life: www.parentcenterhub.org/topics/transitiontoadult/
- Many attractive, user-friendly tip sheets on education, employment, living skills and more, specifically aimed at young adults with mental health challenges. Many are suitable for all youth. From the
- For resources on transition to adult physical and mental healthcare, see the Collaborative Planning page on this site.