VR New Hampshire and Transition
The New Hampshire Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation (VR New Hampshire) is a state/federal agency that helps people with disabilities prepare for, obtain, and succeed in meaningful careers. This help can include helping pay for your education after high school. VR New Hampshire is part of the Department of Education and works with individual students and also sponsors activities for groups of students like:
- Project Search (five locations): Concord, Keene, Lebanon, Nashua, Seacoast
- Earn and Learn
- Project Income
“Introducing Vocational Rehabilitation Services NH: Simply Said” is a 4:21-minute video that explains how local VR New Hampshire counselors can help youth with disabilities figure out and achieve their goals.
Get more information about VR New Hampshire
More information about pre-employment transition services (Pre-ETS), which are VR’s school transition services.
- Video introduction to Pre-ETS, 37:22-minutes, presented by Tina Greco, Transition Coordinator at VR New Hampshire.
- Slides from the above video presentation (PDF, 17 slides, 2022)
VR New Hampshire is offering weekly information sessions for parents about how they can help your student prepare for life after high school. The sessions are Monday evenings from 6:30-7:00 pm via Zoom. Registration is required. Information sessions for parents
VR New Hampshire encourages IEP teams to open discussions with parents and students about the services offered through the agency, and how to apply. Application for VR New Hampshire services may begin as early as age 14. For students who have not yet applied, an annual discussion of the options for applying is encouraged.
We are VR: Connecting with Students with Disabilities, an introductory brochure about VR New Hampshire’s services.
- Vocational Rehabilitation (VR): A Young Adult’s Guide, from Transitions RTC in Massachusetts, explains VR in a clear, simple and straightforward way (PDF, 4 pages, 2012).
- VR Transition Resources is a page on the NTACT website that provides an overview of the VR Continuum of Services.
- Side By Side View: Transition Services (PDF, 9 pages) compares and contrasts the transition services requirements for Education (IDEA), Vocational Rehabilitation, and Pre-Employment Transition Services. Nice clear three-column format. From NTACT.
- A Transition Guide to Postsecondary Education and Employment for Students and Youth with Disabilities is a comprehensive overview of how the state, local school districts and VR work together with students and families to plan for the future. It links elements of good transition planning back to the related federal legislation. (PDF, 62 pages, 2017).
- The Career Index Plus is a comprehensive online occupational information system developed specifically for VR staff and their customers. Anyone can use it to explore careers – you have to create an account first but it is free.