Voc Rehab’s Role in Transition
The New Hampshire Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation, also known as Voc Rehab, or VR, is a state/federal agency that helps people who meet certain qualifications find jobs. This help can include helping pay for your education after high school. In New Hampshire, VR is part of the Department of Education. NH VR works with individual students and also sponsors activities for groups of students like:
- Earn and Learn
- Project Search (five locations): Concord, Keene, Lebanon, Nashua, Seacoast
- Project Income
“Introducing Vocational Rehabilitation Services NH: Simply Said” is a 4:21-minute video that explains how local New Hampshire VR counselors can help youth with disabilities figure out and achieve their goals.
Get more information about NH VR
VR encourages IEP teams to open discussions with parents and students about the services offered through VR, and how to apply. Application for VR services may begin as early as age 14. For students who have not yet applied, an annual discussion of the options for applying is encouraged.
Contact VR in New Hampshire. You can contact VR directly – you do not need to go through a school.
- Vocational Rehabilitation (VR): A Young Adult’s Guide, from Transitions RTC in Massachusetts, explains VR in a clear, simple and straightforward way (PDF, 4 pages, 2012).
- Transition Resources for VR Counselors describes what VR counselors who work with students need to know to provide effective vocational rehabilitation services. The document links to resources and follows a timeline beginning with initial contact with a student through the first year after the he/she has achieved his/her employment goal as outlined on the IPE. (PDF, 11 pages, 2016)
- A Transition Guide to Postsecondary Education and Employment for Students and Youth with Disabilities is a comprehensive overview of how the state, local school districts and VR work together with students and families to plan for the future. It links elements of good transition planning back to the related federal legislation. (PDF, 62 pages, 2017).
- The Career Index Plus is a comprehensive online occupational information system developed specifically for VR staff and their customers. Anyone can use it to explore careers – you have to create an account first but it is free.
Links checked 4/16/2020