A two-hour workshop for school staff and parents. Teams are strongly encouraged to include parents as part of the training.
During this recorded webinar, Kimm Phillips from NH’s Parent Information Center will introduce the Dual Capacity-Building Framework, authored by Karen L. Mapp and Paul J. Kuttner. This framework helps to develop the knowledge, confidence and skills that build capacity among school professionals and families to partner with one another around student success. Kimm will also review strategies and resources created for and used by schools in the Next Steps NH project.
Introductory level. Topics covered include:
- Understanding the Dual Capacity-Building Framework and its implications for developing and sustaining family-school partnerships in transition.
- Developing Family Engagement Teams
- Using a focus group approach to gain the parent perspective
- Resources for planning and executing district and regional transition fairs
- Information about workshops and training sessions offered to school professionals, parents and students
- Recording of February 15, 2018 webinar – recording is 1 hour 5 minutes.
- PowerPoint with presenter notes (37 slides) – includes presenter notes
- PowerPoint slides handout – PDF, 13 pages – prints all slides, three to a page
- Additional online resources – PDF, 1 page
- Critical components for family involvement – PDF – 1 page
- Mapping exercise – PDF, 1 page
- Family roles – PDF – 1 page
- Dual capacity-building graphic – PDF, 1 page
- Dual capacity-building worksheet – PDF, 1 page
- Team action plan – PDF, 2 pages
|Introduction, explain Next Steps NH project, implementation science||Start point: 0:00
|What is family engagement?
||Start point: 10:40
5 min, plus pause time.
|Dual Capacity-Building Framework
||Start point: 15:39
20 min, plus pause time.
|Resources and strategies for family engagement
||Start point: 35:06
|Promoting high expectations for post-school success||Start point: 43:30
|Keep the door open
||Start point: 56:45